Saturday 8 November 2008

What a pleasant surprise


It's strange how quickly you become used to things, not necessarily because they're the way they should be, but just because they're the way they sometimes are.

I felt back in Glasgow East that Labour could really do with a win, not just for political or social reasons, but for our sense of self, and self esteem. I think Glenrothes delivered that for the party, and that is invaluable.

Who does Lindsay Roy remind me of again?- oh yeh, Barack Obama. Anyway, I was pretty pleased with his win too. I believe the opinion people have of America will fundamentally change in the months to come.

There was another thing. I remember being given the 'two-fingered salute' on my way back from Glasgow East by a car load of SNP campaigners. I don't think they speak for everyone, but I reflected on how no such incident in my knowledge had occurred with Labour supporters. (And then there was John Prescott...) Anyway... I heard there was a line between confidence and arrogance, and I believe in Glenrothes it was confidence that overcame an arrogant SNP, and I hope that it is that which is the future face of Scotland.

No comments: